Link to homepage

Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: Committee Room 1

Contact: Democratic Services Tel: 01684 272021  Email:  democraticservices@tewkesbury.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

26.

Announcements

When the continuous alarm sounds you must evacuate the building by the nearest available fire exit. Members and visitors should proceed to the visitors’ car park at the front of the building and await further instructions (staff should proceed to their usual assembly point). Please do not re-enter the building unless instructed to do so.

 

In the event of a fire any person with a disability should be assisted in leaving the building.

Minutes:

26.1           The evacuation procedure, as noted on the Agenda, was taken as read.  

26.2           The Chairman welcomed the Deputy Chief Executive, Rachel North, and Councillor B C Calway to the meeting. He indicated that Councillor Calway was in attendance as Chairman of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee to introduce Agenda Item 7, Council Plan 2012-16 (Year 1) Performance Tracker.

27.

Declarations of Interest

Pursuant to the adoption by the Council on 26 June 2012 of the Tewkesbury Borough Council Code of Conduct, effective from 1 July 2012, as set out in Minute No. CL.34, Members are invited to declare any interest they may have in the business set out on the Agenda to which the approved Code applies.

Minutes:

27.1           The Committee’s attention was drawn to the Tewkesbury Borough Council Code of Conduct which was adopted by the Council on 26 June 2012 and took effect from 1 July 2012.

27.2           The following declarations were made:

Councillor

Application No./Item

Nature of Interest (where disclosed)

Declared Action in respect of Disclosure

D M M Davies

Item 14 – Support for Neighbourhood Planning and Community Planning.

Is a life Vice-President of the Gloucestershire Rural Community Council.

Would not speak or vote.  

J R Mason

Item 13 – Neighbourhood Plan Designation Application from Down Hatherley, Norton and Twigworth Parishes.

Is a Winchcombe Town Councillor which has already been approved as a designated area.

Would speak and vote.

Ms A E Ricks

Item 13 – Neighbourhood Plan Designation Application from Down Hatherley, Norton and Twigworth Parishes.

Is a Churchdown Parish Councillor which has already been approved as a designated area.

Would speak and vote.

27.3           There were no further declarations made on this occasion.

28.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 60 KB

To approve the Minutes of the meeting held on 3 July 2013.

Minutes:

28.1           The Minutes of the meeting held on 3 July 2013, copies of which had been circulated, were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.  

29.

Items from Members of the Public

To receive any questions, deputations or petitions submitted under Rule of Procedure 12.

 

(The deadline for public participation submissions for this meeting is 29 August 2013).

Minutes:

29.1           There were no items from members of the public on this occasion.  

30.

Six Month Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 31 KB

To consider the Committee’s Six Month Forward Plan.  

Subject To Call In:: No - Item to Note.

Decision:

That the Committee’s Six Month Forward Plan be NOTED.  

Minutes:

30.1           Attention was drawn to the Committee’s Six Month Forward Plan, circulated at Pages No. 11-16. Members were asked to consider the Plan.

30.2           Accordingly it was 

31.

Council Plan 2012-16 (Year 1) Performance Tracker pdf icon PDF 29 KB

To review and, if appropriate, take action against the observations of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee resulting from its review of the Council Plan 2012-16 (Year 1) Performance Tracker.

Subject To Call In:: No - Item to Note.

Additional documents:

Decision:

That the Council Plan 2012-16 (Year 1) Performance Tracker be NOTED.  

Minutes:

31.1           The report of the Chairman of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee, circulated at Pages No. 17-51, provided an update on the Council Plan 2012-16 (Year 1) Performance Tracker. Members were asked to consider the observations of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee at its meeting on 9 July 2013 and agree what action, if any, should be taken.

31.2           In introducing the report, the Chairman of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee explained that his Committee had considered the performance tracker at its meeting held on 9 July 2013. There were no specific concerns raised other than one comment regarding the delivery of the savings programme which had been flagged as red. The Policy and Performance Group Manager had explained that a new savings programme had been agreed for 2013/14 and this programme would have a Corporate Leadership Team sponsor with individual strands of the programme having a Lead Officer. In addition, it was his understanding that the Budget Working Group would play a role in monitoring the delivery of the programme. The consensus of the Committee had been that the performance tracker was an accurate representation of the Council’s position and Members were pleased that the information within the tracker was consistent with the messages given by other Members, for example the financial position of the Council. The local media was using the tracker as a source of information and a number of small articles had appeared in the local press on sickness absence, affordable housing, recycling and the budget. In addition, a larger article had been placed on tourism and this had been a very positive piece which was good news.

31.3           During the discussion which ensued, a Member expressed the view that the issues with the savings programme had highlighted the fact that the Council needed to be careful what was included within the budget. There had been some issues with income being included which had not then come to fruition and this had caused significant problems for the Council. In addition, he was concerned about funding that came from the Government which often came without any certainty about how long it would last, or indeed without a guarantee that the amount provided would remain the same, and this also made budgeting extremely difficult. Another Member expressed concern at the number of actions to which the ‘reporting line/lead service’ was noted as the DRIVE Board when it was proposed later on the Agenda to disband the DRIVE Board. She was advised that a list could be provided of each of those actions and where they would be reported instead. The Member also questioned where the media was getting the information from which it used for its articles. In response she was advised that the Committee papers were a public document so the media collected the performance tracker information from what was reported to Members through the Overview and Scrutiny and Executive Committee Agendas. In addition, the Chairman of the Overview and Scrutiny Committee advised that scrutiny was about  ...  view the full minutes text for item 31.

Action By: CE

32.

Waivers to Contract Procedure Rules pdf icon PDF 27 KB

To approve retrospective and continuing waivers as detailed within the report.

Subject To Call In:: Yes - No action to be taken prior to the expiry of the call-in period.

Decision:

That the retrospective waivers in respect of Bed and Breakfast accommodation and the printing of Committee papers be APPROVED.

Minutes:

32.1           The report of the Democratic Services Group Manager and the Environmental and Housing Services Group Manager, circulated at Pages No. 52-55, asked Members to agree retrospective waivers in respect of Bed and Breakfast accommodation and the printing of Committee papers.

32.2           Members were advised that a review of a sample of creditor’s payments by Internal Audit in 2012/13 had identified two areas of non-compliance in respect of the Council’s Contract Procedure Rules. These related to the printing of Committee papers and the provision of Bed and Breakfast accommodation to homeless persons whereby quotes had not been obtained and annual expenditure exceeded £5,000 and £20,000 respectively.

32.3           In terms of the printing of Committee papers, Members were informed that the Council had a historical arrangement in place whereby its Committee papers were printed by Cotswold District Council. The Democratic Services Group Manager explained that the reasons she would like the printing contract to remain with Cotswold District Council were that a good quality service had been provided by Cotswold District Council during the time it had undertaken the work; it had a large printing department and specialist facilities which also provided printing services to other Local Authorities; due to statutory timescales in respect of the publication and distribution of Committee papers, it was important that the printing of the papers was given immediate priority and this was understood and accommodated by Cotswold District Council; and, due to the sometimes sensitive and confidential contents of the papers, it was important that Committee papers were printed by a reliable source and, being a Local Authority, Cotswold District Council was aware of the importance and procedures for dealing with such information. Quotations were not sought individually each time Committee papers were printed and as such the arrangement was not in accordance with the Council’s Contract Procedure Rules and a retrospective waiver was required.

32.4           In respect of Bed and Breakfast accommodation, the Council had a duty to assess those persons who presented as homeless and, if eligible, to provide them with assistance. This included the provision of interim and temporary accommodation where appropriate. Due to the emergency nature of the work processes and legal duty to provide homelessness accommodation, quotes in respect of Bed and Breakfast accommodation were not obtained and purchase orders not raised. In line with Section E3 of the Council’s Financial Procedure Rules, an exception to the raising of purchase orders had been agreed by the Director of Resources, however, as expenditure for the service fell within the Council’s Contract Procedure Rules a retrospective waiver was required. The waiver was sought as Officers had limited time available to seek appropriate accommodation for those who were, or were at risk of being, homeless; and accommodation had to be sought whereby the Bed and Breakfast establishment was willing to take the homeless person(s) and this must be deemed appropriate following a risk assessment. These factors placed restrictions on where a homeless person(s) could be accommodated and limiting this further to a  ...  view the full minutes text for item 32.

Action By: BS DCE

33.

Replacement of Grounds Maintenance Equipment pdf icon PDF 25 KB

To recommend to Council that the use of capital expenditure of up to £61,000 be approved to replace grounds maintenance equipment; and to approve the capital equipment replacement programme for grounds maintenance.  

Subject To Call In:: No - Recommendation to Council.

Additional documents:

Decision:

That it be RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL:

1.   That capital expenditure of up to £61,000, to purchase replacement equipment for the delivery of grounds maintenance service, be APPROVED.

2.   That the capital equipment replacement programme for grounds maintenance, set out in Appendix 2 to the report, be APPROVED.

Minutes:

33.1           The report of Environmental and Housing Services Group Manager, circulated at Pages No. 56-62, requested capital expenditure of up to £61,000 to replace grounds maintenance equipment which had reached the end of its useful life; and to approve a capital equipment replacement programme for grounds maintenance. Members were asked to consider the report and make a recommendation to Council thereon.

33.2           Members were advised that the grounds maintenance service used a range of equipment to maintain areas of public open space and playing pitches across the Borough. Much of the equipment needed to be replaced as it was old and worn from constant use in the grass cutting season which routinely covered at least 8 months of the year. The equipment which required replacement was detailed at Appendix 1 to the report and a full inventory of all grounds maintenance equipment, including estimated replacement costs and recommended replacement dates, was attached to the report at Appendix 2. The purpose of the items requested for replacement were set out at Paragraph 2.1 of the report and included: a zero turn 61 inch ride on mower which was used for flat amenity areas; a 52 inch dual drive pedestrian mower which was used for flat and banked amenity areas; and gang mowers which were used on large public open spaces and playing fields.

33.3           During the discussion which ensued, the Lead Member for Clean and Green Environment indicated that he hoped Members would support the recommendation contained within the report. He indicated that the machinery was well used and inevitably needed replacing after a number of years in use. One Member expressed the hope that, although a capital equipment replacement programme had been developed, if there were new processes that became available they would be considered, particularly if they would improve the service or result in a lower cost. It was confirmed that this would be the case.

33.4           Accordingly, it was

Action By: DCE

34.

Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 pdf icon PDF 35 KB

To make a recommendation to Council on the changes needed to the role of the Licensing Committee, Licensing Sub-Committee and Licensing Officers within the Council’s scheme of delegated functions following the introduction of new legislation covering scrap metal dealers and motor salvage operators.

Subject To Call In:: No - Recommendation to Council.

Additional documents:

Decision:

That it be RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL that:

1.   the delegated function to consider contentious applications, variations and revocations for scrap metal dealer licences is delegated to the Licensing Committee with further delegation to Licensing Sub-Committees;

2.   the delegated function to consider uncontested applications, and where there are no questions about the suitability of the applicant, is delegated to authorised Officers;

3.   the delegated function to determine and approve policy for scrap metal dealer licences is delegated to the Licensing Committee; and

4.   the determination of fees for scrap metal licence applications, and in future the delegated function to determine fees for Scrap Metal licence applications, is delegated to the Environmental and Housing Services Group Manager in consultation with the Lead Member.

Minutes:

34.1           The report of the Environmental and Housing Services Group Manager, circulated at Pages No. 63-77, presented Members with an update of the new legislation which covered scrap metal dealers and motor salvage operators and the changes needed to the role of the Licensing Committee, the Licensing Sub-Committee and Licensing Officers within the Council’s Scheme of Delegated Functions. Members were asked to consider the information contained within the report and make a recommendation to Council thereon.

34.2           The Environmental and Housing Services Group Manager stated that the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 2013 had received Royal Assent on 28 February 2013. The Act repealed the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 and Part 1 of the Vehicles (Crime) Act 2001 (relating to motor salvage operators). The licensing regime created by the Act would commence on 1 October 2013. She explained that growth in metal theft had driven a rise in commodity prices which, according to estimates, had cost the economy between £200 million and £777 million a year. In addition, metal theft had caused disruption to energy supplies, transport and telecommunications, as well as problems with stolen manhole covers and desecrated war memorials. These problems had highlighted how ineffective the current regulation of scrap metal dealers had become and had triggered a need to revise the legislative framework. From 1 October, all scrap metal dealers would be licensed, and ranked by the Environment Agency, with those ranked as red visited on a weekly basis. All dealers must have identification and keep records as to where the metal had come from and where it was sold on to. The costs of the licensing process had been based on officer time and the costs of licenses for other functions but this was a new function and it was unclear at this point really what the service would cost. It was intended that the fees could be reviewed after a year to see whether they were correct.

34.3           During the discussion which ensued, a number of Members indicated that they fully supported the introduction of the Act which it was hoped would go some way to tackling the significant issues which were faced. One Member had had particular experience of this recently in a village in his area which had been badly affected by the theft of telephone cables. Some Members expressed concern about the charges which were set out and wondered if they should be a little higher to ensure they covered the cost of the service, particular concern was expressed about the cost of translation services and enforcement which could be quite high. In response the Environmental and Housing Services Group Manager indicated that the Act particularly stated that the Council could not include the cost of enforcement action within the cost of the licence so this was something that the Council would have to cover in conjunction with the Police. In terms of the other charges she undertook to review them to see if it would be possible to make any changes.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 34.

Action By: DCE

35.

Leisure and Culture Strategy Review pdf icon PDF 26 KB

 To approve the Health and Wellbeing Strategy.

Subject To Call In:: Yes - No action to be taken prior to the expiry of the call-in period.

Additional documents:

Decision:

That the Health and Wellbeing Strategy be APPROVED.   

Minutes:

35.1           The report of the Development Services Group Manager, circulated at Pages No. 78-98, attached the draft Health and Wellbeing Strategy which Members were asked to approve. 

35.2           Members were informed that the Strategy had been reviewed by the Overview and Scrutiny Committee, via a Leisure and Culture Strategy Review Working Group, and the draft Strategy as circulated had been recommended to the Executive Committee for approval.  The Chairman of the Leisure and Culture Strategy Review Working Group indicated that the stated outcome of the review had been to provide a new financially sustainable strategy with clear priorities, actions and methods of delivery and, as part of the review, the Working Group had been asked to consider: the focus and key priorities of the Council in encouraging all parts of the community to participate, share and enjoy leisure and culture; the local infrastructure for leisure and culture and meeting the needs/expectations of a changing population; the Borough Council role and relationship with other sectors; how to make the best use of the Borough’s resources and provide a balance between affordability and community expectations; feedback from the Council Plan and budget consultation; and the period the Strategy should cover. The Working Group had agreed that the focus for the future should be health and wellbeing which fitted in with the national focus and improvement agenda as well as the Council Plan objective to ‘help, support the health and wellbeing of our residents’. As a result, the aim of the new Strategy was ‘To improve the health and wellbeing of our communities to increase their quality of life’.

35.3           Following the Executive Committee’s previous decision to send the draft Strategy out for consultation, it had been distributed in line with the Gloucestershire COMPACT and a simplified version of the Strategy had been provided to public locations including libraries, GP surgeries and leisure facilities. It was also made available on the Council’s website, the sports development Facebook page and had been promoted in the media. It had also been distributed to local agencies such as the NHS, Parish/Town Councils and Housing Associations. The feedback received centred on whether the public agreed with the draft Strategy and whether there was scope to include additional actions. The Working Group had considered all the responses which, in the main, had been positive and constructive and, where they were deemed reasonable, helpful, relevant and achievable, had been incorporated into the Strategy. Those items included had particularly focused on the promotion of walking and cycling, activities for women and girls, accessibility of opportunities, utilising current facilities and making the best use of the natural environment and green space.

35.4           During the discussion which ensued, a Member questioned whether the predicted population rise in the document should be the same as that included in the Joint Core Strategy. In response, she was advised that the population rise should read 17,920 rather than 15,000 and this would be amended.

35.5           Having considered the information provided, it was

Action By: DCE

36.

Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty Management Plan 2013-18 pdf icon PDF 33 KB

To endorse the Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) Management Plan 2013-18. 

Subject To Call In:: Yes - No action to be taken prior to the expiry of the call-in period.

Decision:

That the Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) Management Plan 2013-2018 be ENDORSED.  

Minutes:

36.1           The report of the Development Services Group Manager, circulated at Pages No. 99-103, asked the Executive Committee to endorse the Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) Management Plan 2013-18.   

36.2           In presenting the report, the Development Services Group Manager stated that the Countryside Rights of Way Act 2000 placed a duty on all AONB Conservation Boards (or Local Authorities where there was no Conservation Board established) to prepare and publish an AONB Management Plan to set out policies for the management of the AONB in their area. The Cotswolds AONB Management Plan 2008-13 had been adopted in April 2008 and the Cotswolds Conservation Board had begun the process of updating that Plan in 2010. The process of revising the Plan had begun with a series of workshops for invited practitioners, and public meetings, throughout the AONB. Those events had involved discussions on the key issues of each existing theme and had begun to consider suggested revisions to the Plan. The outcome of those events had been considered by the Board’s Executive Committee and a revised first draft had been agreed for consultation in March 2012. The responses from formal consultation events had been considered in February 2013 and the amended Plan had been recommended for adoption by the Board. The Plan had been adopted on 21 March 2013 and published on 27 June 2013. The Council was not required to formally adopt the Plan for it to have statutory weight, however it was asked to endorse the Plan for use as a material consideration in planning decisions and to inform the development of the Joint Core Strategy and the Tewkesbury Borough Plan. Recognition of the Plan, including the protection of the setting of the AONB, would, in future, be a material consideration in the Council’s planning decisions and guidance from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) advised that evidence for compliance with the duty could also include showing delivery of the policies of the AONB Management Plan. With this in mind, work would be undertaken to review the ways in which the policies within the Plan could be incorporated into the Gloucester, Cheltenham and Tewkesbury Joint Core Strategy and Tewkesbury Borough Plan.

36.3           During the brief discussion which ensued, a Member indicated that there were figures within the Plan which were not completely correct and she questioned how the Board would be informed about this. In response, the Development Services Group Manager explained that things often changed as the process moved on. However, the Conservation Board would be a consultee as the Joint Core Strategy and Tewkesbury Borough Plan moved forward so this should offer an opportunity to ensure that it was all aligned. In addition there would always be an opportunity to review the information contained in the AONB Management Plan along with that contained in the Joint Core Strategy and the Tewkesbury Borough Plan. A Member expressed the view that it was good to have the Conservation Board in place and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 36.

Action By: DCE

37.

Neighbourhood Plan Designation Application from Down Hatherley, Norton and Twigworth Parishes pdf icon PDF 38 KB

To approve the designation of a neighbourhood plan area covering the Parishes of Down Hatherley, Norton and Twigworth.

Subject To Call In:: Yes - No action to be taken prior to the expiry of the call-in period.

Decision:

That the designation of a neighbourhood plan area covering Down Hatherley, Norton and Twigworth Parishes be APPROVED.  

Minutes:

37.1           The report of the Development Services Group Manager, circulated at Pages No. 104-109, advised Members of an application which had been received to designate Down Hatherley, Norton and Twigworth Parishes as a neighbourhood plan area. The Executive Committee was asked to approve the designation of a neighbourhood plan area covering those Parishes.

37.2           Members were informed that a neighbourhood development plan was a community led framework for guiding the future development and growth of an area and it related to the use and development of land and associated social, economic and environmental issues. A neighbourhood development plan would be subject to full public engagement, examinations and a public referendum and, once adopted, would form part of the statutory development plan which was used for guiding decisions on planning applications. There were five key stages to neighbourhood planning, which were set out at Paragraphs 1.4-1.8 of the report and included: defining the neighbourhood; preparing the plan; independent check; community referendum; and legal force. To date, three applications had been received for the designation of neighbourhood areas, two of which had been approved by the Executive Committee at its meeting on 3 July 2013. The third was the application currently being considered by Members.

37.3           The Development Services Group Manager explained that local planning authorities had a statutory duty to advise or assist communities in the preparation of a neighbourhood development plan and to take the plan through a process of independent examination. The Localism Act set out the local planning authority’s responsibilities: to designate the area of the neighbourhood development plan; to advise or assist communities in the preparation of a plan; to check a submitted plan met legal requirements; to arrange for the independent examination of a plan; to determine whether the plan met the basic conditions and other legal requirements; to arrange a referendum; and, subject to the results of the referendum, to bring the plan into force. There were a number of requirements that an application had to meet, as set out in Paragraphs 2.1 and 2.2 of the report, and, on accepting that an application met those requirements, the Borough Council was required to publish the application for a period of not less than six weeks to invite representations on the proposal. The application from Down Hatherley, Norton and Twigworth Parishes had been advertised as required and, as no representations had been received, was recommended for adoption.

37.4           During the discussion which ensued, a Member indicated that, whilst the proposed designated area would not overlap another area, it would immediately abut the Churchdown/Innsworth designated area and she questioned whether each area would need to consider what the other was doing. In response, she was advised that there were a number of issues which were coming to light as the process moved forward and this was one of them. Whilst there was not a duty to cooperate as such, the Council would hope that Parishes would talk to each other about such issues. Officers at the Council  ...  view the full minutes text for item 37.

Action By: DCE

38.

Support for Neighbourhood Planning and Community Planning pdf icon PDF 36 KB

To consider entering into a one year Service Level Agreement with Gloucestershire Rural Community Council to enable it to support all Parishes.

Subject To Call In:: Yes - No action to be taken prior to the expiry of the call-in period.

Decision:

1)    That the Borough Council allocates funding for neighbourhood area designations in three stages as follows:-

       Stage 1 - £500 on approval of a neighbourhood area designation;

       Stage 2 - £500 on publication of the neighbourhood plan for examination; and,

       Stage 3 - £1,000 on successful completion of the neighbourhood plan examination.

2)    That these payments are subject to successful completion of each stage of the neighbourhood plan process and will be subject to the receipt of the government allocation by the local planning authority and on production of evidence of relevant expenditure by the neighbourhood area.

3)    That the payments apply to the lead Parish of the designated neighbourhood plan area.

4)    That this support is subject to funding being made available by the government as set out in the report.

5)     That an annual Service Level Agreement is entered into with Gloucestershire Rural Community Council at a cost of £5,000 per annum. The Service Level Agreement will be reviewed on an annual basis and will be subject to monitoring of support delivery.

6)     That monitoring of the annual Service Level Agreement be undertaken by the Development Services Group Manager in consultation with the Lead Member for Community Development. 

Minutes:

38.1           The report of the Development Services Group Manager, circulated at Pages No. 110-115, provided details of the support which could be offered to Parishes and communities for neighbourhood and community planning.

38.2           In presenting the report, the Development Services Group Manager indicated that the Council wished to encourage and support Parishes undertaking neighbourhood plans and it was proposed that direct funding support was offered to Parishes to support them through the process. Officers were conscious that Parishes were putting a lot of time and effort into developing neighbourhood plans and it was felt that some funding support would be helpful. It was also borne in mind that not all Parishes wished to undertake the formal neighbourhood planning process, which could be quite demanding on both time and resources, and many were therefore opting to produce a type of community led plan which also needed support. 

38.3           Local planning authorities had a statutory duty to advise or assist communities in the preparation of their neighbourhood development plans and, whilst they were not required to fund neighbourhoods that developed such plans, they were required to advise and assist. Currently support offered took the form of Officer support and advice. However, the costs of producing a neighbourhood development plan could not be overestimated with emerging evidence suggesting that the average cost of producing a plan ranged from £17,000 to £63,000. This depended on the size of the plan and it was expected that some larger plans could cost as much as £200,000. In recognising those resource implications, the Government had provided some financial assistance to local planning authorities to support the neighbourhood plan process. In total, the local planning authority could claim up to £30,000 for each neighbourhood plan at different stages of the process. Neighbourhood areas could also apply directly for grants of between £500 and £7,000 from the Department for Communities and Local Government.

38.4           Whilst there was no statutory duty to financially support Parishes undertaking neighbourhood plans, the Council recognised the commitment of areas of the Borough to enter into neighbourhood area designations and it was therefore proposed that some direct funding support be offered to support the process and particularly to enable them to access professional support or to pay for expenses such as public consultations. In addition, a Service Level Agreement with Gloucestershire Rural Community Council would help to provide professional, consistent and independent advice and support to those Parishes that wanted to undertake a less formal approach to community planning as well as those developing a neighbourhood plan. The proposal was that funding support to a total of £2,000 per neighbourhood plan, based on phased payments, would be offered to the lead Parish in each case. This would be provided from the allocation of funding to local planning authorities which was currently only confirmed for 2013/14 and would only be offered subject to that funding being received. In terms of support for all Parishes, it was proposed that the Borough Council enter into a £5,000 one  ...  view the full minutes text for item 38.

Action By: DCE

39.

Business Transformation Strategy pdf icon PDF 41 KB

To make a recommendation to Council regarding proposals to develop a Business Transformation Strategy and to establish a new Member Working Group, to help to develop the Strategy and work programme and to provide ongoing Member direction and governance.

Subject To Call In:: No - Recommendation to Council.

Additional documents:

Decision:

That it be RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL:

1.      that the DRIVE Programme be closed and the DRIVE Board disbanded;

2.      that a Business Transformation Working Group, comprising nine Members, be established to include the Lead Members for Organisational Development and Finance and Asset Management and 7 other Members to be nominated by Group Leaders on the basis of 4 Conservative, 2 Liberal Democrat and 1 Independent;

3.      that the Terms of Reference for the Group, as set out at Appendix 1 to the report, be APPROVED and ADOPTED;

4.      that the corporate strategy and action plan for ICT be incorporated within the Business Transformation Strategy; and  

5.      that the Terms of Reference for the Executive Committee include the approval of the Business Transformation Strategy and Work Programme and the regular receipt of progress reports in respect of its implementation from the Business Transformation Working Group.

Minutes:

39.1           The report of the Business Transformation Group Manager and the Policy and Performance Group Manager, circulated at Pages No. 116-122, asked Members to make a recommendation to Council in respect of the closure of the DRIVE Programme; the establishment of a Business Transformation Working Group; and the approval and adoption of the Terms of Reference for that Working Group.

39.2           Members were informed that, over the last three years, the Council had responded to the financial challenges facing local authorities through the introduction of a wide range of efficiency and service improvement measures and it had also implemented and developed shared services and shared service arrangements to meet business and budget needs. This approach had resulted in a reduction in costs and staffing whilst maintaining service levels. In order to meet the further challenges posed by continued reductions in public sector funding, a more strategic and planned approach was required to plan and implement innovative change to the range, scope, shape and practices of current Council services. The Organisational Review had established the business transformation function to deliver corporate change projects together with the corporate culture change to ensure their successful implementation.

39.3           The DRIVE Programme had been approved in 2010 and had pulled together a combination of actions, projects and recommendations from various sources into one consolidated programme which consisted of four themes: Leadership; Resources; Involve; and Organisation and People. Initially the Programme had consisted of over 100 actions and a DRIVE Programme Board, comprising 10 Members, had been established to oversee delivery of the actions. The Programme Board had successfully delivered a range of corporate and service improvements and, as at June 2013, only 16 actions remained outstanding. Those remaining actions were of an operational nature and delivery of those could be monitored by other methods. Given the new challenges faced by the Council, a completely new improvement programme which focused on transformational change was now required and it was therefore proposed that the DRIVE Programme be closed and the Programme Board disbanded.

39.4           The vision for business transformation had been identified as ‘driving improvement though change’ and initial work had suggested that a transformation model should underpin that vision which addressed a number of key themes: partnerships and commissioning; using buildings; using technology and sustaining improvement; and people and culture. Currently the vision and approach was in the early stages but three key workstreams were suggested to deliver the required outcomes: changing what we do; supporting staff to do it; and embedding continuous improvement. Further work was required on developing the vision and outcomes for business transformation and this would require the development of a Business Transformation Programme to ensure that change projects, efficiency programmes and service improvements could be delivered successfully and the Council Plan objectives met. A Working Group of nine Members was proposed and draft Terms of Reference for the Working Group were attached to the report at Appendix 1 for consideration. In respect of the ICT Strategy, Members were advised that, as  ...  view the full minutes text for item 39.

Action By: CE

40.

Separate Business

The Chairman will move the adoption of the following resolution:

 

That under Section 100(A)(4) Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded for the following items on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.

Minutes:

40.1           The Chairman proposed, and it was

RESOLVED:         That, under Section 100(A)(4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following items on the grounds that they involve the likely discussion of exempt information as defined in Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act. 

41.

Separate Minutes

To approve the separate Minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 3 July 2013.

Minutes:

41.1           The separate Minutes of the meeting held on 3 July 2013, copies of which had been circulated, were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.  

42.

Review of Development Management Team Structure

(Exempt –Paragraph 1 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 – Information relating to any individual) 

 

To consider proposals for the Development Management Team structure.

Minutes:

(Exempt –Paragraph 1 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Local Government Act 1972 – Information relating to any individual)

42.1           Members considered proposals for the Development Management Team structure and agreed a way forward.